— Published 23 May 2022

News from Peng Shuai

Thomas Bach himself revealed on Friday 20 May, at the end of the last day of the IOC Session, that the Olympic body has continued to meet regularly with former Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai since the Beijing 2022 Winter Games. Speaking at a press conference, Thomas Bach explained that the young woman, who was very visible during the Beijing Games, had participated in a conference call with representatives of the IOC Athletes’ Commission earlier in the month. He said the call was the “second or third” contact with Peng Shuai since the Winter Olympics. “She is looking forward to be able to come to Europe and to visit Lausanne, apparently in particular the Olympic Museum, said Thomas Bach. And then perhaps also to attend one or other tennis tournament.” However, the dates and conditions of her trip to Europe remain unclear. The reason for this is the very strict measures imposed in China to combat the pandemic. “We will have to see how things develop, said Thomas Bach. But the contact, as we have always said, is maintained.”