— Published 5 July 2021

1900 athletes at the Tokyo Games

Athlétisme

The die is cast. With four weeks to go before the start of the track and field events at the Tokyo Games, scheduled for July 30th, World Athletics has announced that 1,900 athletes from more than 190 countries will compete in Tokyo and Sapporo (marathon and race walk). At the end of the qualification period, which ended on June 29th, about 70% of the athletes in the individual events had qualified after meeting the minimum requirements set by the world body. The remaining 30% did so thanks to their world rankings position. As a bonus, World Athletics awarded 100 spots for universality. In five events on the programme, the number of qualified athletes exceeded the initial quota: men’s and women’s marathon, men’s and women’s 10,000m, women’s triple jump. But as World Athletics explains, all athletes who have achieved the minimum requirements will be eligible to compete at the Tokyo Games.